Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Weather, My Thyroid and Our Blog

Because those three are totally related (what's that about Wal-Mart, Adam? :)

The weather this morning was a nightmare; not enough of one, since Subway was still open. I have to admit, I was NOT happy about that. It seems that EVERYTHING was shut down this morning, so I was surprised when I texted my manager and she said to go. So I went. I did some cookies and not even half of the bread as normal and by 11:00 we'd only had ONE customer, so I went home. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

I was catching up on my Google reader and I got to my thyroid blog section. I usually only read the titles, since they don't put the whole article in there, but today one in particular caught my eye. There has been a storm of talk surrounding Oprah, who is hypothyroid. I think I'm gleeful, reading about this, and I bet most of you think that's scary :-p The woman who writes this excellent, especially in this article, beacuse the quotes in it are highly ridiculous. I can't believe people out there actually BELIEVE this stuff, but they DO!! If you get a chance, read through some of the comments too. Comment numbers 15, 16 and the beginning of 17 are particularly interesting. After reading those comments, I realize how much more I have to learn!! I'm especially keen on this right now, since I've been without my meds for a week. I can feel it and I hate how I feel right now.

Not to mention, I just found out that my former roommate's best friend from high school is 8 months pregnant. I had NO idea and I'm even friends with her on facebook! She and her husband ALSO got married around the time we got engaged. I guess it's the whole 2006 thing, since she hasn't been married for very much longer than I have. I don't know why things like this are so upsetting, since I honestly have no desire to be pregnant again anytime soon, but I'm still happy for her (and the others). I know it won't always be like the three weeks I knew about it, but it was miserable! I don't even know why I have no desire for it; a lot of miscarriage survivors (is there a better way to phrase that?) want to try again RIGHT AWAY. I do NOT want to try at all; maybe since we weren't even "trying" to begin with. Now, TWO of my friends are worried that I don't want it at all or that I think it'll never happen, and I don't want them to worry about me. I do want it, just not any time soon. I keep trying to think of the 'what-ifs' What if I get pregnant again right off the bat? What if THAT'S a miscarriage too? What if it's not? I just can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of going through a pregnancy again, let alone a miscarriage again. Not to mention all the other things I'd like to get done first. I'm still confused and frustrated. I'm glad they care about me, but I don't want people to worry that I think it'll never happen. I'm just even more okay with it not happening for a while now.

Anyway, this one wasn't short either. Bummer. The link is in the post title, and I would *love* it if you have a spare moment to read it. I'm trying to keep in perspective that almost everybody never gives their thyroid a second thought, but it's near and dear to my heart, so help your hypo friend out :)

Oh, I just remembered that this makes post #52, which averages out to one post per week, which I think was my original goal. So, I totally blew it out of the water and STILL made the goal! How cool is that?

2 comments:

Sara Beth said...

Congrats on reaching your post goal this year!! That's quite an accomplishment!

I know I suck. lol. my cousin josh called and told me he'd pay for half of my ticket as my Christmas Present if I wanted to go, they aren't the best seats by any means but they're good enough for me! I will totally give you a call. We might get there early enough to hang out if you aren't working, or maybe afterwards....I'm not sure how late that will be :S.....ok this is becoming a novel.....I think we're both good at writing novels though haha.

Sara Beth said...

I think it's the evening one because I think Josh said something about it being at 8:00. Oh by the way, I have a crush on a guy which I'm sure you read my little post thing....and I know I've asked before about other people but......is 30 to old? HAHA