Sunday, December 14, 2008

New Calling

So it finally happened. After years of not being in primary at church, they finally found me and called me to be the pianist for primary. For those who don't know (most people, I suppose) I played the piano for primary for a couple of years when I lived in Conway. However, the day I met my future wifey, which also just happened to be my birthday, I was released from that calling in Conway, and had to start going to Sunday School with adults. Adults! What silliness! What nonsense! Anyway, since then I have occasionally played for other stuff, but I have mostly managed to keep my talent hidden under a bushel, like the scriptures say...

So today as I was helping Jax get the rooms ready for nursery, a counselor in the bishopric pulled me aside to discuss something with me. I was worried he was going to ask me to speak, or worse, though I have a hard time imagining anything worse than speaking. But instead of asking me to speak or say a prayer he told me they needed someone to play the piano for primary.

Honestly, this was the greatest calling that I have ever had in Conway, and I reckon it will still be fabulous in Little Rock. But, I can also say with perfect honesty that I will miss my nursery kids. Sure I will see them again in a year (three weeks for the older ones) but I will greatly miss the chance to see them learn and grow. They grow so fast it's unbelieveable, and they learn so much so quickly that I can barely keeep up with what they learn from one week to the next!

So I'm excited about being back in primary playing the piano again, but I'm also sad because I won't get to see the nursery kids nearly as much anymore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

seems like a good day for new callings--Mason got one too. You should ask him about it...it might give you something to think about