Monday, June 21, 2010

Jax's Take on Things

So Adam told you all of our wild and exciting day yesterday. I'll fill in some details.


The house was CUTE!! In a neighborhood I didn't even know existed, let alone considered before. It was also way cool to talk to his high school friend. She was totally awesome; we will be going to more of her open houses :)

Driving around anywhere between May and October around here is ridiculously hot. I've laxed WAY down on my fuel mileage obsession and I'm trying desperately not to get too tolerant to the A/C (what do you do when the highest setting is not enough!?!). Doug forgetting his medicine was a bummer, but it extended Pearce Brother Bantering which is always entertaining. I also called my Dad to wish him a happy Father's Day. He had to travel for the high council, but mom made him his favorite meal, so he was happy.

We goofed off and ate for the rest of the evening. Poor Mom Pearce has a rash or something that is making her itch, so we (Grandma and I; everyone else ate too much turkey and crashed on various couches and recliners) tried to distract her. It took me an hour to get Adam up, but eventually he did. For whatever reason he wandered outside and came back in. Not three minutes after that Katy burst upon the scene yelling quite loudly "GOTTA PEEEEEEEE!!!!!" which scared the dickens out of me because I was thoroughly confused (I thought it was somehow Adam coming back in, which would have been weird and physically impossible.) After that we were swept up in her whirlwind, when lo and behold, the phone rang and it was none other than Sylvia! The Pearce family house phone is really hard to hear on, and I have bad hearing anyway, and Katy was excitedly recounting her trip of too much caffeine and no rest stops, so things got really exciting with everyone yelling at the phone and each other. Sylvia called to wish her own father a Happy Father's Day and while he was on the phone with her, Katy got out his present that she brought from her Mexican cruise. It was this rockin' awesome sombrero.

Not too long after that, we decided we needed to head home, which is where the unexpected fun began. If you've ever read any of Dave Ramsey's books, he mentions that women (and women only) have a hidden security gland that is baffling to men; this is usually in reference to emergency funds, but given my history of car trouble, it's perfectly applicable to my automotive world. I'm therefore understandably paranoid about anything happening to Frances. It bugs me to no end that I wouldn't have noticed the weird noise at all; only because Grandma said something while Adam was looking for a place to pull over. I was ridiculously useless during the tire change, even cranky. Adam said something about nails in the tire and Grandma asked me what I'd been driving though. Anyway, the tire was changed and we booked it home because it was LATE at this point! This morning, Adam got up before I did and looked at the tire (and also finished fixing my blinker--I can legally turn left again! :-p ) He brought it in for me and this is what I found:


Whoa! You can see it's not pretty in this picture. But then, upon further examination (which consisted of Adam pulling the hole open while I took a picture) it looks even worse!



Holy Humongous Hole, Batman! How did that get there?!?! Needless to say, when we took it to a local discount tire shop (on Doug's recommendation) the guy looked at it for about 3 seconds before he said there was no way on Earth it was reparable. Le sigh. I have a new tire, but Frances is healthy again. She looked so crippled with the doughnut on! :(

Adam and I may be a socially awkward couple and work waaaaaay too much, but we have seriously got to find cheaper, less stressful forms of entertainment :-p

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

Holy cow - that hole is amazing! I've gotten holes not quite that big in my tires twice, each time by running over a wrench that then somehow flipped and embedded itself in the inside wall of my tire. But I don't know if you guys are as unlucky as I am. :-)