Saturday, July 4, 2009

Lonely 4th, and a Tiny Movie Review

This has been the loneliest 4th of July I have had in 3 years. This morning I rushed Jax and her mom to the airport so they could catch their flight to Dallas and from there go on to Panama. After that I headed over to Pinnacle Mountain for the annual ward Pancake Breakfast, which I arrived at just in time to get something to eat. I stayed to watch the youth play a couple of rounds of Ultimate Frisbee and then to watch some of the toddlers playing on the playground.

After that I went home for a little nap, after which I indulged in one of my masochistic tendencies by going out to see a movie. I had hopes that the newest Transformers movie would be better than the last one in certain ways. Boy was I wrong. Michael Bay should be slapped with a badger for inflicting that on people. Just like the last one I couldn't tell what was going on or which giant robot was ripping the other giant robot into smaller robot pieces, or how everyone somehow magically arrived just in time for the last climactic battle in which the camera never stayed still long enough to allow your mind to figure out who was saying what to whom or why it was supposed to be important. I hate to sound like one of those fanboy freaks who lives in his parents' basement, but dangit they messed up some of my memories. I may be the only one associated with this blog who knows who Jetfire was, but what they did to him was just plain wrong. Also the Matrix of Leadership looked completely different in the 1986 movie which I saw on my birthday in 1986. Not that I'm a nerd or anything... Anyway, as incoherent and insensible as the 1986 movie was when I watched it again a couple of years ago, it was better than the latest one. At least I could tell which robots were on screen at any given moment. Michael Bay, I hereby slap you with a virtual badger.

Anyway, after my masochistic episode I ran up to Conway to eat some hamburgers and blow things up with my Conway family. It was good to see them all again, and to see everyone's health generally getting better. My Conway family has had some pretty big challenges in terms of health over the last couple of years, but things seemed to be getting much better tonight, overall.

I hope everyone has had a happy and safe 4th of July.

1 comment:

John, Katie, Kailyn said...

Hey, I never can find your blog, but I have it now! I need to add it to my page, but I am sure I will procrastinate and get around to it about the time you stop blogging or something like that. Thanks for the review, I'll just skip that movie!