Saturday, January 5, 2008

Wow, the controversy!

Agh, I hate being sick! It's no fun at all! I have gotten squat done since Wednesday (but Wed. I went to the temple, so that totally makes up for everything :)

So, anyway, I'm supposed to be napping at the moment since grandma is at a funeral and Adam is at work, but I got an email from a sister at church and as it was the first I'd heard of any of it, I decided to google search it (google rocks!) and I was really, really surprised to find this out there! Who knew!? All this took place back in October, but this is the first I've heard of it!
Anyway, all the controversy is about a talk given by the Relief Society General President (you can read the talk here) Apparently people are upset because they think that she is typecasting women and that the Church doesn't address the concerns of women, but rather pigeon holes them as nothing more than wives and mothers. I don't think that's so.

I do remember listening to that talk and being quite a bit intimidated, but never stereotyped. When I was a kid, I wanted to be just like my mom (I still do! It's gonna take forever though!). This has actually become quite a sensitive subject for me, as my mom worked outside the home. I don't think it has adversely affected either my brother or me. We both turned out to be fine. I know my mom was criticized by people in our tiny branch who looked down on her choice, and that has always annoyed me. They did nothing to contribute to our financial well-being, but criticized my parents for doing what they had to do, just because it meant *gasp* my mom had a job! My parents had to provide for and support our family and they did just that. They did the best they could with what they had, and we all got by.

Now that I'm married myself and looking forward to having kids (I'm just not sure where in the grand scheme of things) I'm actually sorta looking forward to staying home with them. Adam and I talked about me staying home until they're in school and then getting a day time job, which I think is probably the perfect set up. Why stay home when there aren't kids to chase after and teach and play with etc., etc.,? There is so much you can do when you stay at home, it seems kinda exciting! But at the same time, I'm working on a degree and the career paths are potentially exciting too! So I'm not too worried about it. It'll work out for us exactly how it's supposed to.

I know my thoughts are mostly unorganized, but I'm not sure if I understand why people are so upset. One comment I saw on one of the other blogs implied that women don't have as much power in the relationship if they don't make money, which I think is a load of bull. Maybe people are just looking for controversy, or another reason to brand the Mormons as psycho or something. But I've never heard of so many people being so up in arms about a General Conference talk. I've always thought General Conference was where you went to listen to the G.A.s give inspirational talks that we then try to use in our daily lives. You don't have to do all of them, and especially all at once. Just stay motivated, right?

There is a website that is making a petition against Sister Beck's talk (here) but in the email I received, there is only an email address to which you can send support to Sister Beck. (motherswhoknow@gmail.com)

So, for the millions of people waiting breathlessly for our next post (heehee ;), what do you think of all the controversy? Do you have better formed opinions than I do? Please share.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello!!! Well, leave it to me to comment on the controversy part. I think because the talk focuses only on mothers, and makes it quite clear that women who stay home and do without are more virtuous than those who work, many people would be upset by it. It also seems that anyone who chooses not to have children is not doing God's will, per this speech. So yes, for any childless women and/or working moms, this speech says you are doing wrong. But...my mom worked too, and it wasn't just for the little extras, it was for food and housing. So....I don't really pay attention to anyone who says or implies that working moms are not as good as stay at home moms.
Having a job gives a woman an identity not related to her biological status (mother or not) or relationship status (wife or not). Also, having one's own money gives independence. I can buy things without having to ask my husband. That's why some people say it's good for a woman to have her own job. I'm one of them!
But, being a feminist, I believe in the political, social, and economic equality of women (not identical, but equal) and that women have the right to make choices. So if someone wants to stay home with 16 kids and she can feed them without public assistance, go for it! If she wants to never marry and work 80 hour weeks, same! I make my own choices, too!
There it is....my long winded opinion!

Jacalyn said...

Eek! I meant to write back to this last week!
I agree with you. That's where the free agency comes in. We believe in free agency, so while we may not agree with people doing things, we can't stop them or control them. The biggest part of the controversy I think, was that people aren't acknowledging that the Church HAS acknowledged women who work and other different situations and while this speech, individually, may imply that you're doing wrong to do anything other than stay home with kids, that is NOT the Church's official opinion. I saw people arguing over what the Church has or hasn't acknowledged & it was ridiculous! They were being so immature! They were saying the same things, basically, but each side refused to acknowledge the other side! Geez, people!!
Anyone has the right to make choices. Let's just all let people do their own thing & stop worrying about it so much!!

Bertie said...

Hey girl!

I read this a few days ago- but haven't had a chance to comment. I think people these days need to be much more open minded. The world is changing and I think you have to do what is best for your family! As long as the Lord is taken into account into your decision- then anything goes! (my personal opinion) Goodluck- and I'm not sure what the whole hub-bub is either about the whole thing.:)