Monday, February 15, 2010

New Background--An Explanation

Well, the obvious answer is that the next big holiday is St. Patrick's Day, but I am talking to my friend who showed me a link to the blog backgrounds she chooses from & I mentioned that I'd like a St. Patrick Day theme with orange in it and she asked why. So I thought I would share my reply with you guys too.

When I was a kid, my Dad told me that his family, even though from South Ireland, are protestants, and that Irish Protestants wear orange, not green. Irish Catholics wear green--it makes sense; Ireland is predominately Catholic, so that's why the color green is associated with St. Patrick's Day. When I was a kid, my Dad always made sure that I had some orange on somewhere and I've continued the trend.

I googled Ireland and green to see if it were true and this is what I found. It turns out my Dad was right after all. So now you know why I wear orange on St. Patrick's Day. :)

http://tinyurl.com/yjjx9d8

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Very interesting! I had no idea about any of that!